Use cases (Notion)
Ideas for use Notion: This is a general list and is separate from a specific project:
Obviously, I don't need Notion as a Trello replacement, because then I might as well use Trello. But it's a handy start:
- Perhaps the easiest way to use Notion as a Trello replacement: Import Trello boards. These appear as pages in Notion
- Very interesting: You can define properties yourself (properties). In Trello you have colors and maybe with a little creativity a few more things, but after that it seems to stop. In Notion you can define those things yourself!
I find Trello very ergonomic, but I still mainly use it as glorified scrap paper. I find it unsuitable as a knowledge base, but even worse: I have no overview at all in Trello. This is probably the first thing I would want to use Notion for. See PostIt Schedule (Notion) for details.
Trello knowledge base
I find Trello unsuitable as a knowledge base. Perhaps this could be done better in Notion.
I find use of labels in Trello limited. I would like to work with more types of labels, dimensions or categories.
In other words: separate taxonomies. In any case, 'main categories Revenue, Overhead, BizDev, R&D, AA & Private. In addition, probably a tag system, as I apply to the contacts in my mobile.
Trello + easier overview of boards
At the end of 2021, Trello appears to have changed its structure in terms of teams and boards. I can't seem to find signs anymore.
Trello + flexible hierarchy
For example, can I have a project CompanyXYZ, which falls under acquisition first, and later under customers? In Trello I usually use two separate boards for that. That is logical in itself, but it would be nicer if these entities were linked to each other
Trello + Conversation Notes
I often keep separate text files with notes from consultations. Maybe an idea to incorporate it in Notion as well? Or am I relying too much on a third party?
Sometimes it is not clear to me whether a certain card belongs to project A or project B. It would be useful to place it eg at A and at B a link to the map at A.
Integrated time management + planning
- I find Google Calendar very annoying to work with. You can do that in Notion too, right?
- Until now I keep track of my hours separately in a spreadsheet. That's double in a way. Can't that be done in one environment? Which, for example, also keeps track of how many hours I have worked per category per week?
As soon as I share a Trello board with someone, I get the urge to add a "shadow board" to keep track of the same project, but I'd rather not share it with that other person. That's pretty dull.
Everything mentioned above, plus brain pot. So a repository of stuff I don't want to forget. On the other hand: There is probably little that can compete with a 'own WhatsApp group' in that area.
This is also a good example of the power of Notion: I can add such a new functionality to an already existing system. That's great!
Braindepot - non-executables
- Sometimes I want to remember things that are not part of a task. eg. a movie that someone recommends to me. I once used a subcategory of my brain depot for this. Maybe Idea is a good name?
- See second part of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vl2mP0Ita4