Laptop Dell2020 switches off
Naar navigatie springen Naar zoeken springen
In September 2022, I had the problem that my laptop Dell2020 frequently switches itself off
- Laptop Dell2020 suddenly switches itself off while operating
- This started happening on a specific day (I think it was Friday Sep. 24) and immediately happened about three times that day
Actions & info
- It doesn't seem to happen when the laptop is idling, or only using a terminal screen (withing Gnome)
- It seems to happen especially when I'm using a second screen
- A couple of days prior to this event, we had an electricity outage. The battery was emptied and hasn't charged since. At one moment, I started the laptop without battery, hoping that this would enable the battery again to charge. According to BIOS, the battery is still at 40% of capacity
- BIOS reported that it doesn't recognise the charger (I'm using a replacement charger with some damage to the wiring)
- BIOS frequently reports that it date and/or time hasn't been set. This might be an indication that there is something wrong with charging or the onboard battery.
- I've checked syslog and dmesg, but that didn't help much - I haven't done it thoroughly though, and I don't really know how to extract meaningful information from system logs
- On Tue. Sep. 27, I replaced the charger with an official Dell charger (might not be the same as that came with this laptop). Now the battery is finally charging
- Event seems to happen mostly when using a secondary screen
- When going through system logs, I had the impression that it suggested that there were problems in this area.
- I have the feeling that it might have to do with persistent storage. In this case an SSD
- Since replacing the charger, the battery finally charged, plus that this happened shortly after an outage after which the battery didn't charge anymore
- This might explain why it happens when using a dual screen or when not idling: Under such conditions, the laptop may use more electricity
- In the past, I had similar problems with CPUs getting too hot. In that case, it turned out that a fan was blocked by some debris
- In this case, I can hear the fan
- The problem seems too irregular to be related to this: It also happens at times when the computer has been on for just a short while.